Welcome to Columbia University Military Veterans. Here you can find our public events, blog posts, and photos. For access to all our information, opportunities, private blog, and private events, please consider becoming a member.
Deloitte CORE Leadership Program
Helping members of our armed forces successfully transition to the business sector
From , Deloitte will pilot the Career Opportunity Redefinition & Exploration (CORE) Leadership Program at Deloitte University, in Westlake, TX to help armed forces members translate their skills, knowledge, and experiences into a business environment.
We are looking for veterans who are about to or have recently separated from active duty within the last 9-months who:
· Have earned a bachelor’s or master’s degree
· Have 4–8 years of military service
· Are interested in transitioning to private sector employment
· Want to work with Deloitte leaders with extensive experience across industries to translate their leadership abilities and experiences into a business context
· Are looking to make an investment in their own career development, positioning themselves for future success
What will participants get out of it?
Program participants will have access to Deloitte’s established learning programs and leadership development curriculum. Participants will learn to translate experiences, skills, and leadership qualities into a business context, identifying their unique edge and applying resources and tools to select and achieve a meaningful career path in which they can be successful. The focus will be on select development areas, including:
· Developing a personal brand and building a professional network
· Communicating effectively
· Understanding corporate functions and industries
· Adjusting to a corporate culture
In addition to the formal training programs facilitated by experienced professionals and training specialists, the unique setting of Deloitte University will provide networking opportunities with some of Deloitte’s most senior professionals, experienced in all industries across the corporate marketplace.
How can applicants apply?
Applicants interested in the program should complete the attached application form and submit it with their resume via email to the CORE Leadership Program mailbox. Applications must be received no later than, .
Deloitte’s commitment to veterans and inclusion
At Deloitte, we foster an inclusive culture where all leaders thrive, and we’re proud to support veterans and their families. So when President Obama challenged American businesses to lead the charge in getting 100,000 unemployed veterans and their spouses hired and trained by the end of this year, our CEO Joe Echevarria pledged that Deloitte would lead from the front and embrace veterans. To support the White House’s Joining Forces initiative, we committed to set a goal of doubling our veteran hiring numbers over the next three years.
To help facilitate the transition for veterans from service to workforce re-entry, Deloitte is hosting the CORE Leadership Program and increasing the number of Deloitte Day for Veterans open houses. Deloitte will continue to support our veterans and armed forces members in a variety of other ways as well, including our sponsorship of events and programs such as the Warrior Games.
Deloitte strives to be the professional services organization where the brightest and most talented leaders want to be. The backgrounds and experiences of our people are as diverse as our business offerings, and we rely on the rich, varied experiences of our people to help shape the quality of service to our clients. Transitioning armed forces members and veterans bring invaluable skills, knowledge, experience, and insights that further enrich the diversity of our teams.
Topic 1 – The Gulf War DecadeTopic 2 – The Road to BaghdadTopic 3 – Invasion and AftermathTopic 4 – SurgeTopic 5 – Exit, Aftermath, and Legacies
April 07, 2014
Columbia Milvets is proud to sponsor the screening of "The New Conversation." This film was created by a veteran Alum of Columbia and discusses the roles of veterans on campus. Please join us for the screening followed by a panel discussion! You can find more information about the event HERE.
March 31, 2014
The next meeting is in room 568 in Lerner Hall at 7:00 pm. Come learn about AIG, the insurance industry and a variety of positions available.
We will be joined by 4 panelists from various backgrounds in AIG. Their backgrounds include, but are not limited to, finance, underwriting, claims and more. This is a great chance to learn about some of the lesser known jobs in the insurance world (treasury, investments, etc.) as well as about the more prominent ones (claims adjustment, underwriting, compliance). One of the panelists is even a Columbia Alum and has made a long career at AIG.
In addition to the panelists, we will have the head of AIG's veterans recruiting initiative there to talk about job opportunites, internships for next year and other placement opportunities!April 07, 2014
Intersted in getting involved? Check out the opportunities for various appointed positions for the 2014-15 school year! Applications are open until April 5th at midnight. If you want to apply, please note that you will be interviewing with the incoming executive board during the week of April 7th and decisions will be made the following week. Click on the job to access the application!
- This is a voting position on the executive board
- Prepare for the annual ball / events
- Chair Ball Planning Committee (Ref. By-Law 12)
- Plans events to be held at Membership Meetings i.e. round tables or panel discussions
- Set schedule for Membership Meetings
- Plan social events at a minimum once a semester
- Work closely with the Vice President on the Veterans Career Initiative
- Reserve meeting rooms for the year
- This is a voting position on the executive board
- Maintain a calendar of events
- Maintain a phone and email directory of all members
- Inform members of upcoming meetings and events
- Manage email correspondence
- Send weekly email to members (“Milvets Roundup”)
- Manage Blog on Website (www.milvets.columbia.edu)
- Manage Facebook account (Columbia Milvets)
- Manage Linkedin account (U.S. Military Veterans of Columbia University)
- This is a NON-voting position and new for this upcoming year
- Identify members involved in other organizations
- Track events and opportunities that are applicable to membership through other organizations
- Identify any events through the CCE and Student Councils that apply to membership
- Report all opportuniteis and events at the begining of every meeting
- Communicate Milvets events to outside organizations that may benefit
- This is a NON-voting position
- Work with the Programming Director and executive board at large to organize the annual ball
- Scout venues and identify possible locations
- Work with other members to identify and solicit guests of honor