Welcome to Columbia University Military Veterans. Here you can find our public events, blog posts, and photos. For access to all our information, opportunities, private blog, and private events, please consider becoming a member.
AlphaSights, provides knowledge brokerage support to hedge funds, private equity, and management consultancies. As a fast growing company with a dynamic work environment, they are looking for people with former military experience to lead teams and previous business experience is not required. You can find out more at www.alphasights.com. They have had strong success with recent veteran hires- a few from Columbia University SIPA- and is actively recruiting more veterans. If you are interested and would like more information on the positions available, please contact the head of the reruiting team, Stephen Motosko at: firstname.lastname@example.org
May 13, 2014
Korengal: Film Screening, Q&A and Reception
The School of General Studies is hosting a great event for our veteran community; please come join us in the screening and reception for Korengal! This is the follow up documentary to Sebastian Junger's oscar nominated Restrepo.
May 22; Roone Arledge Cinema, Lerner Hall, followed by a reception in the Broadway Room.
6:30 p.m.- Screening
8:00 p.m.- Q&A with filmmaker, Sebastian Junger
9:00 p.m. ( or End of Q&A)- Reception with light refreshments=
For those of you interested in watching the trailer please find the link below:
Check-out Korengal on FB! https://www.facebook.com/korengalthemovie
May 15, 2014
Hey Milvets! For the second consecutive year, the great people at the 9/11 Memorial have offered to give graduating Milvets and their families a private tour of the memorial. This was a big hit with vets and families last year, so we hope you can attend. Space is limited so please RSVP via email to JJ Rivera (email@example.com) by this .Where: 9/11 MemorialWhen:Time:
May 13, 2014
Thanks to those who came out to discuss their ideas for our organization and provided the e-board with recommendations to enhance our social, service, and career driven initiatives. Some of the topics discussed included:
- Expand access to MilVet hosted Veteran Orientation Day and provide more orientation material for incoming students; e-board is planning on creating orientation booklets this year that will remain updated electronically throughout the year.
- Expand volunteer opportunities and partnerships, specifically with Wounded Warriors and Team Rubicon
- Focus VCI on different career tracks so vets can focus their coursework and concentrations, example more tech companies for engineering students
- Increase MilVet members’ involvement in bringing in new companies for VCI; provide us with ideas of companies and organizations you would like to come to campus and help the e-board make connections with representatives of these organizations.
- Increase social events with CU campus wide veteran organizations- MIBA, SIPA Veterans, CLSMA and School of Social Work Military Caucus- as well as the Columbia Veterans Alumni Network
- New social event ideas: paintball, shooting range, softball, ski trip, and more.
- Update the MilVet website as much as CUIT will allow; this is already a priority for the e-board this year
- As a collective organization share more information on VA, GI Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment benefits
Google Resume Workshops
SVA is proud to announce that we are partnering with Google and Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) to host another year of resume workshops for more than 400 veterans in 14 cities nationwide!
Whether you have a resume or need to start from scratch, every veteran that attends a workshop is paired with a Google employee for a one-on-one resume critique and coaching session, attends a panel discussion with Google veterans and hiring professionals, enjoys a free lunch, and goes on a tour of the Google office!
“The resume workshop at Google was the best I’ve been to since separating from the Army in 2009. The Googlers who graciously volunteered their time were phenomenal.”
May 05, 2014